DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
Special Scientist (Research Fellow)
Title: Special Scientist (Research Fellow)
Number of positions: A 1)
Category: Employment contract
Location: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Cyprus announces a
Special scientist position (research fellow) for full-time employment on the basis of a 12-month contract with the possibility of renewal. The successful candidate will conduct research under the supervision of Assistant Professor Mathaios Panteli.
The successful candidate will work on the development of advanced algorithms and engineering solutions to realize the Black Start from distributed energy resources. The skills and expertise required for the advertised position include one or more of the following areas:
- Design, planning and operation of distribution networks
- Techno-economic analysis and management of distributed energy resources (e.g. renewable microgrids) in future power systems
- Modeling and quantification of ancillary and flexibility services by aggregated distributed energy resources, with a focus on start-up services to restart an electrical system from partial or complete failure
The following will be considered a material benefit (one or more):
- Probabilistic safety and cascade analysis and assessment, especially in the presence of high penetration of renewable energy sources
- Modeling and planning focused on the resilience of distribution networks, with an emphasis on the role of distributed energy resources and micro-grids
University of Cyprus
The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. In a short time, the University of Cyprus managed to gain international recognition through a development path impressive. Today, it is ranked 67th young university (under 50) and #251-300 worldwide in engineering and technology by the Times New Higher Education Rankings.
These great accolades are the result of his dedication to excellence and continuous development. The University of Cyprus has been able to stand out and be rewarded for the new paths it has opened up in particularly demanding and dynamic research contexts. The University of Cyprus is improving every year; it therefore wishes to attract the best employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting fundamental and/or applied research in the field of flexibility and start-up services by aggregating distributed energy resources. Depending on their qualifications and expertise, the successful candidate may be responsible for preparing reports and project deliverables, contributing to the preparation of research proposals, and assisting in the supervision of undergraduate students. Also, the successful candidate is expected to publish their research findings in top international conferences and journals.
Profile of the ideal candidate
The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and/or in a team in fundamental and/or applied research, typically within the framework of research and/or innovation projects. The ideal candidate must be able to produce, publish and present research results in high quality conferences and journals and/or engage in innovation and knowledge transfer activities, be able to prepare reports and project deliverables, attend academic and/or other conferences and personal and professional development seminars, assist in the preparation of research and/or innovation proposals, periodically present the progress of their research and assist in activities of training, education and dissemination of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s or/and Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or related field from an accredited institution
- PhD or equivalent in fields directly related to electrical power systems or engineering and technology, or other related field from an accredited institution
Conditions of employment
The position is on a 12 month contractual basis with the possibility of renewal. The monthly gross salary can reach €2,630.25 depending on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The 13th salary bonus is incorporated into the monthly salary. Maternity leave will be granted based on the Social Insurance Acts from 1980 to 2012. Travel allowance strictly for the purpose of the project will also be provided.
- Interested applicants should submit the following online via the link: https://applications.ucy.ac.cy/recruitment.
- Motivation letter specifying the date of availability for employment
- Brief description of their academic and research experiences (can be combined with the motivation letter) (1 page maximum)
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English or Greek
- Copies of BSc/MSc/PhD degree transcripts
- The names and contact details of at least two academics from whom references may be requested
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but no later than Friday April 22, 2022, at 5 p.m.. The evaluation of applications will begin immediately. For more information, please contact Dr. Mathaios Panteli ([email protected]).
At least the top three candidates who meet the required qualifications will be interviewed by a 3-member committee.
Candidates are informed of the outcome of their application by the competent entity
The University of Cyprus collects and processes your personal data in accordance with the provisions of the General Personal Data Regulation 2016/679 (EU).